Turns out quite a few of you folks enjoy the idea behind WP Live Stream!
Well, we do too. And thanks to a creative handful of suggestions from users, we’ve be able to add some awesome ideas! These changes are just too legendary to hide under a pond-lily! The best part is that all the simplicity of the original WP Live Stream is still there.
Let’s take a look. We’ve included old and new features in the list below:
- Twitter Notification – Connect your Twitter account to WP Live Stream and send a tweet out with a link to your live stream when you start live blogging.
- Clear & Archive – Clear your database of previous tweets or archive them.
- Widgetized - Place your Live Stream anywhere on your blog that is widget-ready.
- Shortcodes - Configure WP Live Stream on a dedicated page on your website.
- Customize - Choose font colours, widths, background colours, update colours and much more.
- Improved Admin Settings Panel (NEW!)- The settings panel is categorized and simple to navigate
- Rich media (NEW!) - Attach images from your computer or by placing a image URL in your stream or uploading your own
- URL Shortening (NEW!) - Using your bitly credentials you can now utilize URL shortening for URL’s longer than 20 characters as you type
- Live Updates & Simple Resource Management (NEW!)- manage how often your users live streams are updated in realtime to find a balance between server load and keeping their feeds current.
- View Older (NEW!) - Allow your visitors to browse the streams history all the way back to when it began right inside the stream.
- Multiple Streams (NEW!) - Want to store or display multiple streams / event streams? Now just give your stream a unique ID of your choice and keep your streams seperate.
- Email Streaming (NEW!) – Email from your phone to your wordpress blogging address with “#livestream” in the subject line and stream from wherever you are.
Whoa! Hold your pond leaves. Did I just skim over 2 amazing features? Let’s look at those a little closer:
I now can have as many unique live streams as I want?
Why would you need this?. Well sometimes you whacky socialite tadpoles might be in 2 ponds at once, and need 2 streams going, or perhaps you have a general live stream for your blog and a live blog post for a current event. In the past, this wasn’t possible cause you only had one live stream, but just by supplying a “Stream ID”, now you can!
I can Live Stream from where-ever I am via email?
Yes you can, tadpole. Just by setting up your wordpress “Post via Email” settings found in your admin section under “Settings -> Writing” or installing the “Postie” plugin (which allows image attachments too!) you can email your live streams like you would a normal post, except now using “#livestream” in the subject line. Just like the screenshot below!
Is your mind blown yet? Should I send someone clean the pond? If you want it, come and get it. It’s still under the GPL so it’s free for all and to do what you will!